Better Training for Safer Food is a Commission initiative aimed at organising a Community (EU) training strategy in the areas of food law, feed law, animal health and animal welfare rules, as well as plant health rules.
The main objectives are:
- Ensuring and maintaining a high level of consumer protection and of animal health, animal welfare and plant health;
- Promoting a harmonised approach to the operation of Community and national control systems;
- Creating an equal level playing field for all food businesses;
- Enhancing trade of safe food;
- Ensuring fair trade with third countries and in particular developing countries.
In the framework of this initiative, AETS and its partners are entrusted by the European Commission to implement training courses and sustained training missions.
Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency
The Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (formerly CHAFEA) was created on 1 January 2005.
In 2008, the Agency's mandate was prolonged and expanded to include actions in consumer protection and training for safer food.
The Agency provides a professional service in performing the tasks and activities entrusted to it by the European Commission, and it works closely with the Health and Consumers Directorate General.
The CHAFEA manages relations with some 2200 beneficiaries involved in close to 200 projects in the field of health; it has about 50 staff members with an administrative annual budget of 6.7 million euro (year 2010).
The CHAFEA is based in Luxembourg.